One of the first things you need to do to prepare for your move is to select a moving company. When selecting a mover, always obtain a written cost estimate from each moving company you are considering. Fees for local moves (50 miles or less) are usually determined on an hourly basis. Long Distance moves are generally priced by load weight and mileage and may offer replacement protection or insurance at full value for all items being moved. Before you choose a moving company, research them on the internet or ask for references before making your final decision. After you select a mover, schedule a moving date and use the following guide below to help you plan a smooth move.
One Month Prior To The Move
- Determine what you do and do not want to take with you. Plan a garage sale if necessary or contact a local charity to donate any un-wanted items and collect any items you do not wish to take with you for the garage sale or charity donation.
- Contact the charity to arrange for a date and time to pick up items. (Remember to keep receipts for your tax records)
- Decide what you are going to pack yourself and what the movers will pack. (Keep in mind that the mover is not responsible for breakage of any items you pack personally.)
- Collect boxes, packing tape, and packing peanuts from your mover for items you will pack yourself.
- Notify the post office that you are moving and forward all mail and magazine subscriptions to your new address.
- Gather medical, dental, pharmacy and veterinary records for family members and pets.
- Notify schools and arrange to have your kids’ transcripts and records forwarded to new schools.
Two Weeks Prior to the Move
- Start packing. Pack a little at a time. Don’t try to cram all your packing into one or two days.
- Return any borrowed items and reclaim any items that were borrowed from you.
- Arrange disconnect/connect dates with local utilities, i.e. electric, gas, water, phone, cable or satellite and internet.
- Cancel any home related services, i.e. Maid, Lawn, Pool Cleaner, Newspaper or Dog Walker, but arrange for maid service and carpet cleaners to do a final cleaning.
- Develop a floor layout to provide the movers showing where you want your belongings placed in your new home.
One Week Prior to the Move
- Properly dispose of all flammable materials that shouldn’t be moved. (Contact your city’s waste disposal department for proper instructions on how to dispose of flammable materials)
- Refill any prescriptions before you move and have Dr. Office or pharmacy forward prescription info to new pharmacy
- Dismantle any outdoor BBQ, patio, play or gym equipment.
- Transfer bank accounts (if necessary) and clean out contents of safe deposit box.
- Pack any items you want to move yourself and mark them as “Do Not Move”.
Day Before the Move
- Empty out ice maker, refrigerator/freezer; let the appliances air out for 24 hours.
- Finish packing all of your personal items.
- Make sure you get a good night’s sleep.